The Penn State Summer Experience in Viticulture and Enology program will be a nine-week training experience running from June 3 to August 2, 2024. Training in viticulture and vineyard management will occur at the Lake Erie Regional Grape Research and Extension Center (LERGREC), located in North East, PA. Part of the training will involve establishing and assessing varietal trials at the center, plus opportunities for industrial and commercial experience at Mazza Vineyards and Presque Isle Wine Cellars. Students also will participate in individual research projects in collaboration with faculty.
Undergraduates selected for this program will receive a stipend of approximately $800 per week, a weekly food allowance, plus on-campus housing at Penn State Erie, The Behrend College. Some travel to Penn State Behrend may be available.
How to Apply
Applicants are expected to be full-time undergraduate students in good academic standing.
Application materials required include:
- Personal statement describing the student’s career goals, interest in viticulture, and how participation in this program will enhance the student’s education
- Résumé or C.V. (Curriculum Vitae)
- Copy of unofficial college transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which should be an academic reference.
LERGREC has a commitment to diversity and applications from underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged.
Application materials should be sent to [email protected] by no later
Decisions of acceptance are expected to be sent out by early April 2024.
For More Information
- For any questions or concerns, please contact the LERGREC at [email protected] or 814-725-4601.
- For more information on the research, crops, and more, visit the Lake Erie Regional Grape Research and Extension Center website.