Is your Pennsylvania retirement system meeting its obligations to employees and their families? If you’re in a decision-making role on behalf of your PA retirement system plan, it’s your legal responsibility to ensure that decisions are being made in the best interests of plan participants and beneficiaries. What’s more, as a fiduciary you may be personally liable for the decisions made by the plan. With increasing news headlines and legal and regulatory pressure on public retirement plans, now is the time for comprehensive fiduciary education.
With that in mind, the Certified PA Public Retirement Plan Professional program offered by Penn State Behrend and the Pennsylvania Association of Public Employee Retirement Systems (PAPERS) is an ideal way to better understand your fiduciary role and how to carry out fiduciary responsibilities.
The certification program provides participants with exposure to a diverse and comprehensive curriculum of fiduciary and plan management topics in a three-part process:
- Complete an online introductory fiduciary process course developed by Penn State Behrend and PAPERS.
The course is divided into seven chapters: Governance, Fiduciary Matters, Ethics, Benefits Administration, Actuarial Matters, Investment and Risk Management. At the end of each chapter, students will complete a knowledge check. The online class is approximately 1.5 hours, and participants will have 30 days to complete it. Participant will be provided instructions to create an access account upon registration. Participant will receive a certificate upon successful completion of the course.
- Attend program sessions at PAPERS conferences focused on regulatory updates, plan management best practices, and service provider due diligence.
- Meet continuing education (CE) requirements with additional online education modules and content library resources.
Who Should Attend
Pension trustees, pension administrators and staff, as well as industry professionals who work closely with pension systems.
- Understand your important role and responsibility as a plan fiduciary.
- Discover strategies for implementing an effective and prudent fiduciary decision-making process.
- Learn how to select and work with qualified advisors, consultants and service providers.
- Apply best practices for managing and overseeing your retirement system.
- Receive updates on PA retirement system legal and regulatory changes.
Dates: Ongoing; students will gain access to Canvas for up to six months to complete 1.5 hours of coursework to receive Certificate of Completion.