We realize that it "takes a village," so to promote positive youth development, CORE offers various training and booster sessions to support local efforts in helping Erie youth.
PYD 40 Developmental Asset Training
With support and funding provided by the United Way of Erie County, CORE offers Asset Training for participating schools and nonprofit organizations in Erie County. Asset Training can be tailored for each site's audience (i.e., parents, religious leaders, educators, and/or community members).
For more information, contact us.
Informed by The National Mentoring Partnership and working closely with The National Mentoring Partnership of Southwestern Pennsylvania, CORE staff are trained to provide research-based and best practices mentor training for Erie County. Mentor Training 101 sessions are relevant for high school students, college students, educators, coaches, religious leaders, and community members. CORE often offers this 3-hour training three times during September–October for interested parties.
For more information, please contact Mary Baird, Mentor Coordinator, at [email protected]
CORE Training Options
1. Mentor Training 101 (3 hours)
Goal: To provide participants with an introduction to mentoring and to help them understand what to expect as a mentor. The training is appropriate to introduce new volunteers to the field of mentoring and to refresh current mentors on best practices.
- Registration 30 minutes before program begins
- Introduction to TMP/icebreaker/housekeeping (25 minutes)
- PYD and Assets (30 minutes)
- Best Model (10 minutes)
- Developmental Relationships (20 minutes)
- Picture Assumptions (5 minutes)
- Blocks Activity (15-20 minutes)
- Listening Activity (20 minutes)
- Helping Youth Through Challenges (20 minutes)
2. Mentor Training 201: Application and Skill Building (2 hours)
Goal: Review of basic mentoring tenets leading to skill-building activities created to encourage the mentor in their role.
- Define safe social climate
- Benefits of mentoring
- Your role in mentoring
- Skills include:
- Open and close ended questions
- Communication blockers and openers activities
- Reflective listening activity
- The Big Bomb communication activity
- Managing Challenging Roles activity
- Role-playing activities
3. Everyday Mentoring (45 minutes)
Goal: Create awareness in mentors; "here are the things you already do"
- PYD and Assets (10-20 minutes)
- Developmental Relationships (10 minutes)
- Listening (10 minutes)
- Community Opportunities (5 minutes)