Black School of Business Student Club and Organization Events
Visit the Student Club and Organization Events page or BehrendSync to find updated event information.
Black School of Business Student Engagement
- Beta Gamma Sigma (BGS): BGS is the international honor society of AACSB-accredited schools. The society encourages and honors academic achievement in the study of business and cultivates leadership and professional excellence.
- Behrend Business Day: Behrend Business Day, co-sponsored by the Black School of Business and Future Business Leaders of America, introduces regional high school students to business basics by having them participate in a stock market simulation, mock business courses, and other activities.
- Business Ambassadors: Business Ambassadors support recruiting and outreach efforts at the Black School of Business by participating in recruitment, retention, and outreach activities both on and off campus.
- Business Leadership Weekend: Students learn how to place themselves into a position of responsibility, authority, and leadership by bringing attention to their techniques and soft skills that employers will find attractive.
- CFA Institute Research Challenge (IRC): Students gain real-world experience as they assume the role of a research analyst with hands-on mentoring and intensive training in financial analysis and professional ethics during this annual global competition.
- Corporate Spotlights: A corporate spotlight provides an opportunity for engagement between our business students and corporations, non-profits, or civic organizations.
- Finance Speaker Series: Alumni and finance professionals come to speak regularly at the Black School of Business. Topics include timely issues related to financial management, markets, investments, and financial planning. It’s a valuable opportunity to participate and engage with our regional finance community.
- Global Boarders: A partnership involving the Black School of Business, Residence Life, and Housing and Food Services, Global Boarders is an international-focused living-learning community for students who recognize that strong cultural competency skills are valued in today's workplaces. Global Boarders live in Trippe Hall, a new 201-bed, $28.4 million residence hall, in an environment enriched with unique academic and out-of-class learning opportunities.
- Spring Student Trip: The spring student trip is an excellent opportunity for students to visit with potential employers in big cities all over the country. Students will meet with corporate recruiters and sometimes with high-level executives at companies chosen because they appeal to a wide range of Behrend majors. A special dinner with alumni in the area is also a tradition of this trip, and, of course, students get to explore the city during free time.
Black School of Business Outreach
- Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) Regional Leadership Conference: This initiative features interactive competitive events that test students on their business acumen while promoting camaraderie. The top three winners in each category have an opportunity to attend the State Leadership Conference in Hershey, Pennsylvania, in order to qualify for competition at the national level.
- Junior Achievement Titan: This highly-effective initiative coordinated through Junior Achievement of Western Pennsylvania helps high school students understand the complexities of real-world decision-making by managing a virtual business. This program showcases key business strategies through practical scenarios seen in actual day-to-day operations.
- M&M Debate: Also known as the M&M Lake Erie Invitational Speech and Debate Tournament, theM&M Debate is sponsored by the Black School of Business and coordinated by McDowell High School and Mercyhurst Preparatory School. This event is formatted to include several rounds of competition centered on the theme of enhancing communication skills through proficient speech and debate tactics.