December 2021 Minutes

Safety Committee Meeting

School of Engineering

December 9, 2021

In Attendance: Chris Bartlett, Glenn Craig, Dave Honard, Phil Jones, Brian Lani, Lucy Lenhardt, Mario Loreti, Joy Armbruster

Members Unavailable: Hussein Abdeltawab, Anne Gohn, Fred Nitterright, Steve Nozaki, Nancy Study

Phil Jones called the meeting to order at 1:00 p.m.

Each committee member covered their Lab/s Risk Assessment /Activity Report. Any reports of new, moved, or deleted equipment will be added to the equipment database. Any lab concerns/new business reported on the forms will be addressed.

  • Brian, Dave, Glenn, Chris, Mario reported no changes for this past month.
  • Discussed the new bearing tester in AMIC 120. It is set up. Joy and Brian will discuss an SOP for the machine.
  • Phil mentioned a small Craftsman air compressor with Dave H. Tim requested Phil work with Dave to find a home

Accident/Incident/Best Practices Report

No new injuries or near misses to report.

Joy reported that the chemical waste pickup is scheduled for December 17. Mario has 2 lead acid batteries. Joy recommended that he email Brandi to see if she can pick them up next week. Lucy offered to put them in with her waste items.

Continuing Business

The minutes from the November 2021 meeting were reviewed.

Brian and Chetan are developing the plan for the MTS while Chetan is out.

The committee had a discussion on sponsor-owned equipment. Lucy noted that the contract should include maintenance and usage protocol.

Joy reported that the eye-wash station inspections are not required over break if no one is working in the lab. If people are working in the lab over break, the inspection is required.

Lab Card Access to Burke 123 was discussed by the committee. We would like to invite Dipo to the January committee meeting to discuss.

New Business

Mario and Lucy reported some of the No Food/Drink signs are missing from the labs. Joy will ask the student work-study to go around and add any missing signage.

Joy asked about some of the programs EHS may audit in the future.

  • Crane
  • Ladder
  • Laser
  • Silica
  • Industrial Trucks

Item for next semester: Get consensus on possible internal lab audit mid-year.

Note: Annual lab inspections will be coming up in January.

Previous Action Items:

Mario suggested that students using Burke 145 should have training on soldering before using the lab. He also suggested that we ask maintenance to look at the ventilation in the space. There is currently a fume vent in the lab. Action item is ongoing.

The unit specific plans have been reviewed and signed in the labs. Fred shared concern that in Burke 118 more faculty and students are using the lab than he is aware of and would like a better list of who is assigned or approved to use the lab. Action item is ongoing.

Card Access: The committee discussed the card access process for Burke 117. The Supermileage and Robotics clubs have grown to 30-40 students and the normal card access procedure where each student is required to meet with the lab access coordinator has become very difficult. Action item is ongoing.

The meeting concluded at 1:45 p.m. The next meeting will be scheduled for January.