Truck drivers are in high demand and many jobs go unfilled in our region and across the country. In collaboration with Transportation Solutions, Penn State Behrend will offer in-person training in Class A Commercial Driver Licensing (CDL) for new and experienced drivers.
This course includes in-person classroom training, vehicle inspection hands-on training, and vehicle skills hands-on training. Students will learn all Department of Transportation and Federal Motor Carrier rules and regulations as they pertain to a professional driver.
Once students have successfully completed the classroom training and obtained the CDL Permit, Transportation Solutions will work with employers in the region to sponsor the behind-the-wheel training that will allow students to sit for the CDL license exam.
The curriculum will follow the Federal Motor Carrier rules and regulations for Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT) outlined in their Class A CDL: ELDT Curriculum Summary (Note: Download most recent ELDT summary from linked page.).
* This program is approved for full funding through CareerLink upon qualification—contact them directly. Reference the Service Application ID: 169539
Steps on the road to success for shifting gears to a new career:
- Complete the Pre-Assessment.
- Attend in-person training at Behrend with an 80% or greater pass rate.
- Pass the CDL written test at the PA Driver License Center and earn a commercial learner's permit.
- Attend hands-on vehicle inspection skills training and vehicle skills training.
- Attend hands-on and behind-the-wheel skills training, and take the license exam with Transportation Solutions.
|Behind The Wheel
Dates and Times
- Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
For More Information
Questions or need help with registration? Email Carleen Orlando at [email protected] to learn more.